Magic is a supernatural process by which certain beings in Universe X can manipulate the world around them. Arkn, Dekn, Risen, and half-breeds are all able to practice magic in some form. Magic falls under three categories: Ethrial Manipulation, Silulic Manipulation, and Siy-based.
During the creation of .Mainframe, a rebooted .Reality core was used to create a connection between the base and the universe on top of it. Alongside this, a split of the core was created to allow for the universe to be boxed in; this split core was taken over by Fabras, and became the Heart of Ethri. Here, Fabras expelled the last of his power, creating a being called Tatsuonga (or the Ethric Mind). Full-blood Arkn and Dekn (along with half-breed Dekn and Arkn, as well as Risen) all have a connection to the Tatsuonga, and are able to tap into it to practice various forms of magic. The Arkn, due to the means of their evolution, developed Ethric properties in their blood, which grants them a direct connection to the Tatsuonga. The Dekn, meanwhile, have learned to tap into its mind psychically (via their Silulic Horns) in order to charge sigils.
Humans do not have a connection to the Ethric Mind, and thus cannot tap into it. This also means that they cannot use sigils or Siy. (However, U.M.E.E.C.-based technology can be used to supplement or mimic some of the powers of the Arkn and Dekn.)
Arkn within Universe X are able to channel the Ethri in their blood and create auras, via a process known as Ethrial Manipulation. These Auras can:
- Be used in the Lathrym only to act as a means of Flight, creating wing-like manifestations.
- Be used as a very limited third appendage that can lift or move objects to the extent of the user's strength.
- Be channeled into a force that can be shot from a sigil (similar to an Ethric "harpoon").
Those with Arkn blood can channel Ethri raw. An aura produced by this method is less powerful, and doesn't have the same capabilities. However, it can:
- Restore lost cells on a wound to an extent. (Limbs can't be regrown)
- Generate heat rays (i.e. create a heat hot enough to burn something by focusing, condensing, and generating friction using the Aura).
- Create a form of bright light by charging one's Ethri (to an extent); this can cause the aura to show off a color on the visible spectrum.
Half-Breeds are only able to channel Ethri raw; because of this, they cannot reach the power of a full-blood Arkn.
Dekn within are unable to channel Ethri. However, they are able to use a form of psychic power, utilizing a connection to the Silulis. The Silulis, which is the bottom core underlying reality, is home to the Silulic Horror, created by Ced'ric. This is where the Dekn power of Silulic Manipulation comes into play. Dekn Horns can forge a connection with the Silulic Horror, creating a projection of them in the Silulis that manipulates objects in the physical world (i.e. the Ersis and the Lathrym) by manipulating their ghost data duplicates. Using this same telepathic power, Dekn are also able to tap into the Ethric Mind and create Sigils.
Dekn can strengthen their presence in the Silulis by "working out" (exercising) their connection. However, Dekn power has its limits: they cannot manipulate living beings (other than Humans, who have Elective husks that can be manipulated).
Everything in the universe has its own blueprint within creation: a unique line or curve, known as a Siy. The Siy were first discovered (or decoded) using a mysterious relic, which enabled the user to "see" the Siy in anything they look at. Using this device, the Dekn learned of the existence of Siy (with the Arkn learning of them soon after).
Using the Siy as an elemental base for a sigil, full-blood Arkn and Dekn are able to tap into the Tatsuonga and create a personalized symbol to represent what they need the sigil to do. (This means, for example, using a Fire Siy, but surrounding it with a doodle of a bonfire, will create a bonfire effect when activated.) This can work for any basic symbol, to an extent. If that is too difficult, words can be implemented or hidden in the sigil as well. A sigil must be charged before it can be activated. Arkn can do this directly, by channeling the Ethri in their blood. Dekn, however, cannot channel Ethri, and must charge the sigil using Rethyc crystals. Humans, similarly, must us an outside charge to use sigils.
The Siy comes in six elemental symbols, all down to a very broad base. Beyond these symbols, they can be expanded to individual elements by usage of the Intent Method.
- Fire: The raw Siy for Fire will allow one to channel a basic flame.
- Water: The raw Siy for Water will allow one to create basic water from a sigil.
- Earth: The raw Siy for Earth will allow one to create earthly elements when specified (i.e. Dirt, Sand, Stone).
- Air: The raw Siy for Air will allow one to generate air, which can be simplified into gaseous elements.
- Power: The raw Siy for Power allows one to generate electricity from the sigil at the extent of its charge.
- Force: The raw Siy for Force allows one to generate a push or pull from or into the sigil.
Siy can also be combined. For example, you could draw the Siy for water, draw a snake, and put the Power Siy along with an outward arrow and a Force Siy, and when activated a large electrified water serpent will shoot outward from your sigil.
- Elemental effects from a Siy cannot harm the user.
- Living creations can not be summoned from a sigil; for example, you can not have a sigil create a living cat, or a human.
- Food items and other fabricated objects (such as money or clothing) cannot be created, as they are restricted directly by the Ethric Mind.
- Ethri or any form of it also cannot be created using a sigil.
The Ythen can apply specialized Siy to an Arkn or Dekn, which only they can use.
- Transmogrification: Transmogrification can be done by drawing a base sigil and using an existing object, combined with another existing object meant to be transmogged. This means that the Siy for a crystal combined with the Siy for a rock in sigil format and charged would give the crystal the appearance and properties of the rock, while still being the crystal (similar to the concept of a glamour). If you are transmogging something new, that new form can't be altered or it will break (i.e. if a rock transmogged into a tree, breaking off a leaf on the tree will break the form and it will return to a rock). These sigils can only be granted to an Arkn or a Dekn directly by the Ythen.
- Transmutation: Arkn and Dekn must adopt a human appearance upon entering Ersis. As with transmogs, this is done with a Siy granted specifically by the Ythen, which is set in stone (i.e. unable to be altered or manipulated). Activating the sigil allows the Arkn or Dekn to customize their appearance, by enabling them to copy various attributes; they can either copy a person's appearance directly, or create a mash-up of different people's features. (For example, an Arkn or Dekn might have the body of Person B, with the eyes and hair of Person A.) As with transmogged objects, the Arkn and Dekn retain their own qualities and abilities (save for the Arkn ability to create wings). Their human forms can be taken away by de-charging the sigil.
Changes From Universe A
Much like in Universe A, the powers of the Arkn are magic-based, while the powers of the Dekn are psionic in nature. However, there are a number of differences from how Magic (or Magick) operates in Universe A:
- Universe X magic does not use Strings. Because of this, beings can no longer do magic naturally (like Universe A Arkn and Dekn could do).
- Arkn and Dekn can no longer teleport. However, Arkn can use a relocation sigil, which allows them to portal to other locations where they have placed the relocation sigil. Dekn cannot use relocation sigils because of the Aura requirement, and need to use specialized U.M.E.E.C. technology to achieve the same effect.
- Because Humanity is no longer data, Arkn and Dekn cannot possess human bodies directly. (The only exception to this is Zachriel, who is able to possess humans using the Universe A method.) Instead, they use Ythen-based Siy magic (Transmutation) to grant themselves customized human bodies. However, both Arkn and Dekn still have the means to control the bodies of humans:
- Arkn can use specialized Ythen-granted sigils to "relocate" directly into the body of a human, basically wearing the human as a "meat suit". During these episodes, the human host is aware of what is happening, but unable to control their actions. (However, the human's mind can be subdued by the Arkn and put into a dream like state if needed.)
- Dekn (if they’re particularly strong) can overload a person’s brain with their powers, thus “taking control” and possessing them.